Friday, September 28, 2012

Nowhere But Up


Pop heart-throb Justin Bieber's mom, Pattie Mallette, has written a biography at the advanced age of 37. Some would say that no one would care about her life story if it weren't for the Biebs and really, what has she accomplished at this point in her life.

Still, hers is a story not only of survival but renewal despite a miserable early life. Her dad was gone by the time she was two, and she suffered through sexual abuse, rape, and a teen pregnancy. Drugs led to depression and a suicide attempt. She was advised to have an abortion but she chose another path which has resulted in yet another teen idol.

Along the way Pattie became a Christian, although that hasn't been a straightforward path either.  In her words:

“It’s definitely a lifelong process. The journey of my faith is not in a neat tidy bow. It’s a little messy, and it’s raw and it’s real, but that was my experience. In sharing my faith I’m not necessarily preaching or telling people how they should do it. I’m just sharing my experience and what got me through.”

You know, we could be cynical or dismissive, but the stories of real people who manage to overcome hardship are important. And I think we mainline church folk can miss the importance of the "born anew", nowhere-but-up  possibilities of our faith. I'm not going to buy her book, or read it, but I'm happy for her. She has actually raised a decent kid who does a lot for others, even if I don't have much time for his music.

Any thoughts about this? I know some of you have tweens and teens who are amongst the throngs of fans.

1 comment:

Laura said...

No, the Bieber-fever has not left our house but I am quite okay with that.

I think his Mom is to be admired.

Don't know that I'll get to reading it but the above description reminds me of author Anne Lamott's writings which I have enjoyed as witty, at times irreverent but always wise. One of her books was called Plan B...which seemed to speak to the life (and faith) she found after her "Plan A" really messed up. Seems similar to Justin's Mom and very hopeful.