Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Faithful Service



Yesterday I chatted with a congregation member who is much in demand as a home renovator and contractor. He and his partner are much in demand, entirely through word of mouth. He has done a fair amount of work on the manse, and it is all excellent. Our conversation came around to an elderly couple he has somehow got involvcd with in recent month due to a request from a physcial therapist, also in our congregation, who saw that they needed some work done in their home to keep them there.

Since that job this old pair has called him to help out with things not really related to his work. Recently they bought a treadmill because they just don't get out and need the exercise. Would he come over and assemble it? Not only did he put it together, he spent time teaching them about the attachable device which will automatically turn it off should one of them fall.

I know that he has helped other elderly people in our congregation, installing equipment to help them in their homes. One of our seniors who died recently was so grateful that at the end of the job he sat and just talked for a while.

While I am a minister in Christ's name, so is he. I commented on what a great guy he is, and he deflected the complement, but I am convinced that his practical kindness is as important --if not more- than anything I offer. He is one example among many in our congregation of people living out their faith.

Doesn't it lift your spirits to know folk like this are out there, quietly helping others? Have you found your niche of faithful service?

4 comments:

IanD said...

I have a pretty good idea about whom you're talking, and if it's who I think it is, he and his colleague did a bang up job on my derelict porch about 5 years ago, now. :)

I like this idea of practical service, though I've got to confess that I seriously lack the kinds of skills the fella you mention has. Still, if I can help someone, I will do it. It might be an upset student at school, or holding the door at the library for someone ... those kinds of things.

Every little bit counts, right?

willowjakmom said...

Brilliant story. I believe that everyone has it in them to help people out- it doesn't have to be a skill, it can just be an ear to listen, a rake or a shovel to help clear a yard or driveway, a license to give someone a lift or maybe just double up on a meal to share it with the freezer bank at church.

Keep stories like these coming! It does the heart good. :)

sjd said...

I know who you are talking about.

He is a terriffic coach for the kids teams too.
Young or old he is a fine example of someone who exhibits "Practical Kindness"

Laura said...

A lovely memory of a bright spot during a tough time for my Dad, when this gent stopped for a visit with him after installing railings......the gift of time and talent shared.....a reminder that living our faith is not just a Sunday thing, no matter with what our days are filled.