Thursday, March 28, 2013

On the Margins



I'm a CBC radio guy but I dabble in some commercial stations from time to time for music in the car. Yesterday I turned on the rock station to hear the gushy commercial for the One of a Kind artisan and craft show in Toronto this weekend. "Open Good Friday and Easter too!" the ad trumpeted. I understand that the majority of Canadians are not religious and not Christian but I still get a jolt with stuff like this. In the supposed very religious States Good Friday is just another day, open for business, so I shouldn't be surprised. Still, these few days are so profoundly important to me I am unsettled and saddened.

The weather report on the TV news this week has a hyperactive pink bunny bouncing up and down on Easter Sunday and this bugs me as well. Would any other religion be subjected to such a disrespectful image for its most holy day? I phoned the newsroom during the broadcast last night and told them I found the bunny offensive!

On Palm Sunday I spoke about the marginalization of Christianity in our culture and our need to follow a path of discipleship which may become lonelier with time. I suppose I should heed my own words. We choose to follow Christ even as the culture changes around us.

What are your thoughts about all this? Bothered or resigned? Okay with being in the minority?

2 comments:

sjd said...

I never gave much thought to the bunny. Much like I've never considered Santa offensive.
I agree they have nothing to do with the reason for this holliday.

I'm sure Jesus wasn't looking forward to the 1st Easter weekend.

See you tonight.

Laurie said...

I must admit that stores being open Good Friday shocks me. I am in England for Easter and Good Friday here is one of the busiest shopping days of the year. They have Good Friday sales! I didn't believe what people were telling me, but they showed me the sales sheets. I will not be shopping Good Friday.