Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Philanthropic




Philanthropy means "love of humanity" in the sense of caring for, nourishing, developing, and enhancing what it is to be human. The most conventional modern definition is "private initiatives, for public good, focusing on quality of life."

We all know who Steve Jobs was, co-founder of Apple, brilliant innovator and entrepreneur, and a very rich man. Apparently he wasn't a particularly generous person, even though his personal wealth exceeded eleven billion dollars. It is always intriguing to hear about the very wealthy and their philanthropic choices. Some, including Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg have signed the Giving Pledge, promising to eventually give away at least half of their wealth.

We now hear that Jobs' wife, Laurene Powell Jobs has been quietly but effectively stepped up her involvement in philanthropic causes. According to a New York Times piece:

She has tiptoed into the public sphere, pushing her agenda in education as well as global conservation, nutrition and immigration policy. Just last month, for example, she sat down for a rare television interview, discussing the immigration bill before Congress. She has also taken on new issues, like gun control.

These are all important causes, and she should be applauded for here involvement and generosity. That said, billions of dollars are given every year by ordinary folk who are balancing budgets and making decisions about the causes they support. Many studies have shown that people involved in faith communities are more generous than the general population, motivated by their relationship with God and the principles of generosity embedded in all major religions. They aren't just generous to their churches, synagogues, mosques, temples. They give to good causes in the broader community, both with time and money.

Jesus urged us to love our neighbours as ourselves, and exhibited a complete, wholistic model for philanthropy, defined above as love of humanity.

What do you think about the generosity or lack thereof of the rich? What about us average folk? I consider myself wealthy as a resident of this country with decent remuneration for my work.



 

2 comments:

willowjakmom said...

Ever since I was a kid, I remember feeling so frustrated when I would see celebrities speaking at telethons, imploring the general public to call in their dollars to whatever the charity or fundraiser was supporting. I would think "why are you wasting so much energy asking us- dig into your own deep pocket!" I now have a better understanding of how the world works, but I admit I still share that frustration.

I have always been walking the the fine line between wanting to be generous and sharing what I have, but remembering that I need to put my own family first and not jeopardize their well-being. I've just never understood why we don't all feel this same way.

I love random acts of kindness and the idea of handing out hundreds to strangers in the street has an appeal. But there is huge potential for waste and the true worry that this money would be squandered on frivolous things, when it could have been better spent. These thoughts bring me full circle back to my comments about celebrities and people of wealth. I presume that many of them have gone through their own personal experience with coming into wealth, through trial and error- and many who could now call themselves "philanthropists", make purposeful choices about where their donations go. To invest their money, they can often make it conditional. They can affect change by determining what they want accomplished with that donation. Canadians such as Elizabeth and Fred Fountain and Brett Wilson are great examples of this.

David Mundy said...

Good Canadian examples Stacey. And well said about walking that "fine line." The key, to me, is recognizing that there is a balance to be struck. I can speak personally in saying that I have no end of "needs" which are usually "wants," so I must establish patterns of generosity rather than being impulsive, although spontaneous giving has its place.

Good to hear from you!