Wednesday, May 01, 2013

The Well of Inner Strength



Just before we left Bowmanville a sweet octogenarian from the St. Paul's congregation phoned me. She wanted me to know that while her faith in God and her family and friends were very important to her as her husband lay dying, I was the one who gave her the strength to get through it all.

She was married to a wonderful old Scotsman who doted on her. He had cancer for years but never complained and he continued to do all the cooking until he couldn't stand up. I thought the world of him, and her. Through the years she had health scares where we thought she was a goner, and so did he. For all the serious stuff, we shared a lot of laughter. In the week he was in critical care he would rally to express concern for her,  which was so touching. She sat faithfully at his bedside and didn't want to go home despite her exhaustion. I saw her marshall her inner resources as the days went by.

When he died I happened to be there in the family room with her and other members of the family. We went in together to say our goodbyes, and to pray. It was a privilege to preside at his funeral and it was a large congegation.

All this said, I did not give her the strength to find her way through the valley of the shadow of death. I am glad that I could travel with her, but somehow she found the courage and spiritual strength she needed, and she has continued to exhibit real fortitude. I can't say "you're wrong" when a person is offering such a heart-felt affirmation. I can put it all in perspective and remind each one that God has given them the ability to draw on an inner well that is far deeper than they ever imagined.

What a gift in Christ's ministry this is for me.

2 comments:

IanD said...

Wow. What an amazing story.

Also, David, does lionlamb have a new home, yet? I notice it's gone from the St. Paul's site. I had to google you to find you, but wasn't sure if you'd set up a new, dedicated home.

Please advise so I can bookmark!

dmy said...

God bless her and you David.