Sunday, June 16, 2013

God Bless Dads


Earlier this year I came to the back of the church after worship was over and most people were gone. I overheard one of our seniors, a lovely person, telling someone else that she was struggling with the losses of several friends who had been part of the sprawling seniors' community where she lives. The listener turned out to be the son-in-law of one of the people who had died, an elderly member who was a true gentleman.

I was touched by the patience that son-in-law Bob exhibited. She needed to talk, and he listened with kindness, offering a few words here and there. Bob was and is a supportive son-in-law. He also has three daughters who are very active in the congregation and a spouse who practically lives at the church in busy seasons because she goes above and beyond the call of duty in her staff role. If he resents their involvement he doesn't let on, and I don't think he does...most of the time. I would see him in a front pew just about every week and even though he is a big, strong guy I could see he was tender-hearted when his loved ones took part in the service, or a particular sermon story touched him.

All this to say, God bless Dads today. God bless fathers who are supportive of others, and encourage their children as they mature in faith.  God bless fathers who are men enough to shed a few tears at times. Christ's church is stronger because of them.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Judy said...

I agree ! Dads with big hearts are very important! :-)

Unknown said...

I could not have asked for a more loving and supportive Daddy!! My sisters and I are truly blesses!

Unknown said...

...and living with four girls his outstanding patients is truly a godsend!!!

David Mundy said...

Thanks for your comments. Your Dad probably feels he has won the lottery with the four wonderful women in his life Amy!