Sunday, June 23, 2013

One More Step


One more step along the world I go,
one more step along the world I go;
from the old things to the new
keep me traveling along with you:
Refrain:
And it's from the old I travel to the new;
keep me traveling along with you
.

Sydney Carter

Today is my eighth Sunday, and the end of my first two months at Bridge St. United Church in Belleville, Ontario. It was a huge decision to leave St. Paul's UC in Bowmanville and move to a new community. Over the course of almost ten years as a pastor there deeply meaningful relationships were built, and we accomplished important things together in Christ's name. I walked away from a fine staff where we got along so well. As we left I had many Tom Sawyer moments, sitting in the balcony at my own funeral as the congregation and community sad goodbye thoughtfully and with humour.

The two months here have been a whirlwind of activity because the Bridge St. congregation has begun implementing a new governance system. While it has been overwhelming as I learn my role within it, I am convinced that its mission/vision-oriented approach is the right way to go, not only for this congregation but for so many in the United Church. We are in a time of profound transition and we don't have much time to figure out our direction.

Ministers are always a bit apprehensive that a forward-thinking search committee might not be representative of the congregation as a whole, but I have been grateful that the folk here have been welcoming and open.  The staff at Bridge St. Church couldn't have been more helpful in getting oriented. It's a bonus when you enjoy the people you are serving and working with in ministry!

Now back to Bowmanville for our final packing before our full move to Belleville at the end of next week. We have been in a lovely apartment for two months, but it just ain't home. The papers are signed, the lawyer is richer, we are ready to go.

I will continue to blog in the next few weeks but it will be sporadic because of moving and vacationing. Please keep checking, oh faithful readers.

It's comforting to know that Christ is with us on our journey.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Winnie the Pooh said it well when he said, "How lucky I am that I have something that makes it so hard to say good-bye."...Godspeed to you and Ruth on this hot and humid moving week.

Judy said...

We at Bridge Street are delighted that you are making this move - and I, personally, wish you well on the move this week ... may all your goods arrive in the shape they were in when you packed them, and may you find space in your new home for everything you need ! :-)