Monday, September 30, 2013

Comeuppance



I will admit right off the top that I watched the first season and a half of the television drama series Breaking Bad and then I quit. It wasn't the quality of the show which made me stop. I just realized during one episode that sitting at the edge of my seat about to break into a cold sweat wasn't my idea of entertainment. Which means that the writers, actors, and producers did exactly what they were aiming to do, I just couldn't handle it.

The multiple-Emmy Award winning Breaking Bad concluded its five-season run last night. It is a morality tale of sorts. Chemistry teacher Walt White becomes very ill and looks for a way to pay his medical bills. One writer points out that Breaking Bad would have been one episode in Canada, with our medical social safety net. Walt begins cooking the street drug, crystal meth,  with a former slacker student and while this is to be a temporary and highly illegal path to healthcare and providing for his family, he changes. Over several seasons he goes from being a rather bland and conflicted "every guy" to evil drug lord.

I heard a reviewer who loves the show lamenting Breaking Bad's conclusion, given how good it is,  while offering that the only fair ending would be for Walt to die, given his descent into evil. The interviewer was a bit surprised but the reviewer held firm.

The apostle Paul told us that the wages of sin are death, for those who don't seek redemption in Christ. Walt flirted with redemption of a kind in the early days of his lawlessness but eventually chose a path of no return. So he gets his comeuppance. That's the moral of the story.

Bye the way, even though some argue that Breaking Bad is one of the best television shows ever, it drew half the viewers of the "reality" show, Duck Dynasty. Hmm.

Were you a Breaking Bad junkie? Are you intrigued by the series now? Do the Bad Guys get their comeuppance in life? Will they eventually?

Please read my Groundling blog today
http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/09/macaws-creatoin-and-evolution.html

1 comment:

Judy said...

This is not a program I would choose to watch, not even once, et alone a few times, to "see if I like it" - I am sure I would not ! Similarly, "Criminal Minds" is on my "off" list! Too much violence and evil to absorb!