Saturday, September 14, 2013

God intervention on Suicide Prevention Day


After my Suicide Prevention Day blog and tweets I received a note from a friend who had a story to share. That day she happened to read a poem on Instagram written by the tween daughter of a friend who lives across the country. It was beautifully written and quite suicidal in tone. Disturbed by what she read she decided to "screen shot" the poem to the girl's mom who immediately went to her daughter. The mother discovered that her child had a well-thought-out suicide strategy, complete with a rope hidden away to use while her parents slept. They talked and talked, then talked some more to the person here in Ontario who saw the poem in the first place. She commented in her email to me:
I didn't even realize it was Suicide Prevention Day until late last night. The irony is not lost on me. I learned a HUGE lesson yesterday. I will always trust my gut because it isn't my own inner voice trying to nudge me. I know I was nudged by a power greater than me. 

I was asked to pray for the girl, which I will do. I hope you do too. The title for my blog entry today was the header for the email I received. I think it's true, and a reminder that God works through us.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Judy said...

I have no doubt that God speaks through us (..."and through others , by the Spirit...")
Thank God, the friend alerted the mom to this information. May God make us alert to signs of distress and harmful intentions ...and give us courage to respond.

willowjakmom said...

Thank you for this reminder, David.