Thursday, November 07, 2013

God's Open Door




Katy Perry is famous as a singer of catchy but forgettable pop tunes. In the age of music videos and stage pyrotechnics she makes a splash, but she has probably achieved stardom through assets other than just her voice. In fact, I had to work to find a photo in which she wasn't sharing those assets as liberally as she usually does. At 46.5 million followers she is now more popular than Justin Bieber on Twitter, which we know is the true measure of a person.

I saw recently that Katy reinvented herself after a stuttering start to her career in the role of Christian singer. Yup, that Katy Perry. Apparently Perry was a huge fan of Amy Grant, one of the first pop/country/soft rock Christian musicians. Grant digressed from the Christian music path herself for a time, although not from her Christian faith, as I understand it. Earlier this year Grant released an album, or whatever we call them now, called How Mercy Looks from Here.  James Taylor sings back-up on one of her songs.

There is a Canadian star who had her roots in Christian music as well. Serena Ryder has a CD which is a huge international hit thanks to the song Stompa, although I can tell you that all the songs are great. I actually chatted with Serena in New Mexico as we rode to the airport on a shuttle. She gave me her plane seat after she decided to hop off our delayed flight and find another.


Serena grew up in Millbrook Ontario and sang and played in the Christian rock band Thousand Foot Krutch. She moved on from those earnest beginnings. I have no idea where Serena may be in her faith journey, nor Katy for that matter, although I have the feeling that it may be "back-burner" for Katy in this season of her life.

There's the thing. For many of us our faith may wax and wane over the years. We get distracted, disappointed, lured elsewhere along the way. We may choose to return, but to a different expression of faith, one which is more mature. We may abandon it all together. It's good to know that God is patient and has an "open door policy."

Did you know about these artists and faith? I know, some of you don't care. Any other thoughts or comments?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was having this discussion in my mind on my way to work today as i walked the precarious path to the bus stop. lol I thought of my faith journey thus far and realized that i am not the same person i was 20 years ago. At one point i went thru the discernment process all hell bent on become a minister of the word and making a difference in the world. Well that didnt happen I realized I was making a difference in the programs I was running feeding kids, then the next stage came it was time to leave that and find a new path... well didnt fill in ministry fall into my plate and the opportunity to preach and run services as a fill in up here in central ontario was fullfilling now I find my self singing in a choir listening to god word and being a reciever of the word not an offerer(is there is such a word) long story short is my journey the same path i decided on 2o years ago the same no have I dissapointed God and myself ...still trying to figure that out.... Katty Perry my still have her faith andsing and perform as she does cause she needs too so she came come back to the fold as they say . God does open adoor for us i hope its a revolving door

dmy said...

Love Serena Ryder and her music and I did know she was Canadian from Ontario and had her start singing Christian music. However, I did not know Katy Perry started out singing anything other than the type of music she sings now, catchy and it stays with you but no substance. Interesting story and comparison and they will most likely have their ups and downs with their faith journey as well as their careers over the years to come. At their young age they may experience a revolving door faith situation, an ebb and flow until they mature, settle and grow into their own skin. Thank God the door is always open.

Judy said...

I guess I am getting old - Amy Grant, I know well- I have never listened to Katy Perry or Serena (will now check them out on You Tube) I mostly listen to classical music... I know - old! However, I do enjoy the more contemporary Christian music that we do in our choir, etc. It always touches me and reminds me of my roots in my Christian faith.

Laura said...

I think I read somewhere that both Katy Perry's parents were pastors.....She does have a current song called By the Grace of God and the lyrics aren't bad,at all...written after her divorce.

I have been reading a bit lately on youth faith development and the un-named,unclaimed theology in their music.....tweens and teens often describe their music as taking them to a higher ground of sorts, an escape from the challenges of life and I guess our role as a church is to help the kids discover that the higher ground feeling from their music is so very often
rooted in their faith, that longing for peace and love and worth is from God, and fulfilled in God. So although the answers aren't in most songs....the questions that can lead us to God often are....