Friday, November 01, 2013

The Duck at Prayer



Duck Dynasty. Ring a bell? I imagine not for many of you, but I have been acquainted with this television not-quite-reality show by a young man who may well become a son-in-law. Patty is a big fan of these good ol' boys and their families and hangers-on. The Robertson family are the dynasty and not only do they have a show with a bigger audience than the revered Breaking Bad, members of the clan have three books on the New York Times bestseller list including The Duck Commander Family: How Faith, Family, and Ducks Built a Dynasty. Christian writer Jason Byasee says, think The Beverly Hillbillies meets Jersey Shore to imagine the flavor of the goin's-on.

Duck Commander Family

I must say that I tuned in one evening and almost immediately laughed at a couple of the comments. They are funny and entertaining. These folk make their money manufacturing Duck Commander bird calls in West Monroe, Louisiana. Their success frees up a lot of time for huntin' and fishin' and madcap frolickin'. This is a show which dictates droppin' yer G's.

They are a religious bunch, as Patty was quick to point out to me. There is a prayer in every episode and they are churchgoers at the White's Ferry Road Church of Christ. One of the brothers, the one without a beard, is a minister. The family complains that the producers of the show won't include more religion, but there you go. It is an odd place to find unabashed Christian faith, which is perhaps why Byasee wrote an good article in the Christian Century called The Duck at Prayer. Take a gander at the program some time --sorry, I just had to say it.

Have you ever watched Duck Dynasty? Are you okay with religion showing up in shows if it isn't a put-on? Have you now concluded that I will write about anything?

2 comments:

Laura said...

There are 4 at my house that would say you have seen the light.....
When I do sit and watch with them, I wonder what it says about society, given Duck's wild popularity and then I (stop over- thinking and) get absorbed and realize the Robertsons are entertaining because they are so simple in what has become such a complicated world. And there is wisdom in their faithful simplicity.....And hey....it sure beats Honey-boo-boo.....

Judy said...

Watched it once with son and family - I remember saying "ewwwww..." a few times - I don't remember a lot of prayer on that episode, however ... just somethin' about transportin' a couple of goats in a new truck...and it is fun that you write about anythin'.