Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Degree of Hope?

CLIMATECHANGE-SUMMIT/


I woke up yesterday knowing that it was the "make or break" day for the climate change deal at COP21, the global conference held in Paris. After days of hammering away at an agreement the announcement would be made on Saturday, December 12th, 2015. Shortly after six AM -- I am an environmental nerd-- I listened, live, as the initial announcement of an agreement to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees from pre-industrial levels was made. Later in the day we were told that 195 nations had signed on, including the United States, China, and India, the unholy trinity of atmospheric carbon producers.

Crazy as it may sound, the decision to limit temperature increases by 1.5 degrees rather than two was a triumph. For some island nations already experiencing the effects of climate change this might be the difference for survival. For the first time in human history a deal was struck involving virtually every nation on the planet.

Embedded image permalink

From the moment of the announcement frustration was expressed by some that it simply wasn't enough, and that there were no measurable targets. Yet other long-time environmental activists such as Elizabeth May are hopeful that this is the beginning of significant change. And Canada, represented by Environment and Climate Change minister Catherine McKenna, was actually part of the team which crafted the accord, rather than pushing against it. The end of the Fossil Fuel Era may not have arrived quite yet, as some are trumpeting, but we can be encouraged.



In worship today we will sing "joy to the world...let heaven and nature sing." We saw the joy on the faces of the thousands of delegates in Paris as the news was shared. Some of them "cried for happy." There will be a different spirit to this hymn this morning, thanks be to God. I brought along my tee-shirt to celebrate!

Comments?

5 comments:

roger said...

I'm encouraged but skeptical. It's fine to have all these countries sign on, but ensuring they all follow through is another matter. Plus, as individuals, we can all do a much better job of being environmentally friendly. Yes, people are using blue boxes, but I still see the long line-ups at drive-thru's and people idling their cars on their driveways needlessly.

Frank said...

Agreed Roger. Talk is cheap, but the required action will determine success.

Even with the more modest 2deg. target substantial reductions would be needed, starting right away and well underway by 2030-33, to avoid breaching our "carbon budget" (historically accumulated atomospheric carbon).
And certainly, taking serious steps individually will be important. We can't migrate away from fossil fuels without finding ways to reduce our own personal consumption, and to accept a decline in our current consumption standards (eg. fewer vehicles, increased use of public transit, lower consumption in our homes, less pleasure travel, etc.).

mary care said...

I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349069171173 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173 He can also cure so many sickness {1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes {3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

George Henry said...

2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM