Thursday, June 27, 2019

Mr. Canoehead & the Soul-Boat

Image result for la chasse galerie henri julien

Yesterday was National Canoe Day and we had no opportunity to get out on the water. Our vehicle is on the DL due to an accident and rentals don't have roof racks. Frustrating! We tend to kayak more than canoe these days but canoeing has taken us to some wondrous places through the decades. We canoe-tripped with our kids in Lake Superior and Killarney Provincial Parks and we've explored a hundred wild nooks and crannies in several provinces and states.

Image result for mr canoe head

Canada's rivers were the first highways for Indigenous peoples and explorers and missionaries, so not surprisingly canoeing has inspired everything from humour to beer to legends. The Flying Canoe or La Chasse Galerie is the story of lumbermen in the deep woods who sell their souls to Satan for a trip to Montreal, and the Prince of Darkness guides their way in the bow.

There are more ancient motifs of the soul-boat in many aboriginal cultures, carrying the dead to the afterlife.

Painted Rock Lake pictograph - source here

I also think of Canadian canoeing icon Bill Mason whose film Waterwalker includes a song of the same name by Bruce Cockburn and lots of Mason's Christian musings to go along with his explorations of Lake Superior country. You can now watch the film online and I'd recommend it, just to witness the most beautiful solo paddle stroke of any human. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq7CqhbzPUs

I would also encourage you to visit the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough. The last time I did it was with two great old guys from Bridge St UC, one a 90-something who had paddled from the time he was a boy. My great regret is that in his last days Ruth and I were going to take him for a last canoe outing but a cautious family member overruled his enthusiasm. His daughter (also a Bridge St member) figured that if he died in the canoe it would actually be fitting. Wouldn't that have been a soul-boat?

Thank God for canoes. Didn't Jesus' disciples fish from one?

Image result for bill mason canoeing

Bill Mason

2 comments:

julian kay said...

LOVE SPELL CASTER (DR. GBOJIE) THAT HELPED ME BRING BACK MY DIVORCE HUSBAND CONTACT HIM NOW FOR ANY KIND OF HELP

With so much in my heart i am here to express myself on how Dr. GBOJIE saved my marriage from divorce. Myself and my husband were having some misunderstanding and it was tearing our marriage apart to the extend my husband was seeking for a divorce. So i have no option than to go to the internet to seek for solution to my problem it was there i came across Dr. GBOJIE details and about how he has helped a lot of people by restoring there relationship. I contact Dr.GBOJIE and in less than 48 hours my husband cancelled the divorce papers. Now myself and my husband live together in peace and harmony all thanks to Dr.GBOJIE for saving my marriage from breaking up. Dr. GBOJIE contact information are via email: gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com , gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com or call his phone number or WhatsApp: +2349066410185 .or check out his website :http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

Jason Ruth said...

[HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE






















[HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE