Saturday, September 26, 2020

Preaching to the Choir on Pandemic Protocols


The CBC radio midday phone-in earlier this week had as its guest an expert on air quality systems. As you might imagine he was addressing concerns about the transmission of COVID-19 and people phoned in with questions about HEPA filters and school ventilation and what happens in open office spaces.

 One woman wanted to know about her church choir as in-person worship resumed for her congregation. What could the 12-15 members of the choir do to stay safe and to protect the minister? The expert pointed out that standing and singing is 30 times the risk of standing quietly -- 30 times! In effect he told her that there is no safe way for the choir to sing within the worship space.

Tomorrow morning I'll lead worship in the sanctuary of Trenton United Church. The past two weeks we were in the pews with all the protocols in place, and it worked well. We wore masks, we followed the arrows, and we didn't sing. Which was far more difficult than I imagined. As the hymns were played we hummed, as did others. We couldn't help ourselves, because singing our faith is essential. Apparently we'd make lousy Quakers.

Could you attend worship without warbling? Are you reluctant to return to in-person worship without singing? . 


2 comments:

Judy said...

I would love to get back to my church to worship, but sitting in a pew, wearing a mask (and getting my glasses all fogged up), watching everything on the screen, and not being allowed to sing the hymns or read responsively, is just not normal.... I might as well stay home in my PJ's and sing to the top of my lungs, along with the recorded music. Maybe I should make sure all my windows are closed .... (Wish I could be in one of your services again, though, David.) This COVID restricted time is very hard !

David Mundy said...

Pyjamas are suitable worship attire during a pandemic Judy.