Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Sacred Gathering




We spent some time, suitably distanced, with good friends on Saturday and amongst other things we talked about the resumption on in-person worship, They are active members of their United Church congregation but Sunday services haven't resumed and may not for a while  given the threat of a Second Wave of COVID-19, 

Here in Quinte/Prince Edward County there is only one active case of COVID, so the risk of infection is very low, with proper protocols in place. In-person worship has started again at Trenton United and  I presided on Sunday because Rev. Isaac was participating in the regional meeting. 

There were about three dozen people scattered through the sanctuary, probably less than half the number on a lovely September day in other years. Of course it was just weird to be wearing masks and not singing, but a little bit more "normal" on this second Sunday of resumed worship. This will take some getting used to. 

Just before worship began someone in the congregation let out a deep sigh and I commented "did you hear that? It pretty much sums up the past six months." Folk chuckled, and there were several moments of collective laughter during the service. It was surprisingly  important to hear one another laugh.  

A notice had been sent out that this was Orange Shirt Sunday, a recognition of the dark legacy of the Residential School system which took Indigenous children from their homes for decades. Sadly, our United Church was complicit in a system where abuse and cultural genocide was rampant. At least a third of the congregation was wearing an article of orange clothing, which was heartening. 


Ruth, my wife, said a favourite moment for her was the "passing of the peace" where we stayed in place but turned and waved at those we hadn't seen in months. At the conclusion of the service, following Isaac's example from last week, I raised my arms in blessing and invited everyone else to do the same, which they did. I found this quite moving. 

I decided to wear an alb and stole on Sunday, even though I rarely did in the latter years of my ministry. I "dressed up" for a sense of occasion, of Resurrection hope during this bleak time. As I pulled the alb over my head in preparation I felt a powerful sense of God's presence. 

How do we measure the meaning and value of being together as the community of Christ? We can't quantify this, yet we can experience it. Every congregation has to make its own decision about resuming in-person worship and discerning this will be a challenge. I'm just glad we are back together, at least for the moment. 






No comments: