Wednesday, February 24, 2021

More About Medical Assistance in Dying

 


As many of you know, I am not opposed to Medical Assistance in Dying, or MAID. While I am strongly believe in the sanctity of life and once felt that anything which hastened death threatened the most vulnerable in our society, including the disabled and the fragile elderly, including those with dementia. My experience in ministry helped me realize requiring people to suffer because medical technology could prolong their existence but not their life, could be morally and ethically wrong as well. God did not create us to be experiments in longevity. My support for MAID has been cautious, yet I have definitely changed my point of view over time. The blanket condemnation by some faith groups makes no sense to me. There doesn't seem to be much grace or love involved. 

I am still watching what our Canadian government is doing to expand the original parameters of MAID, although I find it rather baffling. The lengthy process of amending the legislation which included consultation with the public, presentation to the House of Commons for a vote, and review, with amendments by the Senate is drawing closer to an end. Yet it must come to Parliament again, and may go to the Supreme Court before we're done. 

I'm trying to figure out what changes are proposed to allow advanced directives for MAID, which would address the conundrum of informed consent by those with dementia, as an example. And now I hear that mental illness may be a condition which warrants permission for MAID.

I understand the concerns of those who are seeing a "slippery slope" and I'm grateful for some of their  thoughtful voices, including from those involved in supporting those in the mental health field and advocates for the disabled. How do citizens find out the particulars about amendments, and how they will be instituted? 

I do wish our United Church would draw upon the wisdom of ethicists, and those who are following what it unfolding, to offer an ongoing response to the complex and ever-changing developments. United Church members would benefit from a framework for response and personal decision-making, based on their Christian faith. And a lot of us are getting closer to being "promoted to glory!"

Does anyone else feel this way? 

2 comments:

Judy said...

I agree ... the rules surrounding this option need to be made very clear . But I also feel strongly, after my experience watching my sister die, that MAID needs to be an option at end of life ... a merciful death at the end of a painful existence is NOT the same as suicide.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Judy. I agree that a compassionate society can allow for a merciful death, and it's cruel to prolong existence with no possible positive outcome. Perhaps we need to retire the phrase "committing suicide" and the word "suicide", both of which suggest a crime.