Tuesday, February 02, 2021

The Courage of a Lion on Groundhog Day


“Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: 
for the LORD thy God,...doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
                               Deut 31:6 KJV

 Yes, I realize that this photo is of a lion, not a groundhog. The Rev.Nadia Bolz-Weber is a sort of guerilla Lutheran pastor in Colorado. Her unconventional yet orthodox Christian faith has gained wide appeal, and she posted this photo and prayer on Sunday, which really does speak to our time. Most of us want to live beyond fear, but courage is often elusive. We're not cowards, afraid of our own shadows, but we often feel disoriented and overwhelmed these days. Maybe we should whistle Great is Thy Faithfulness in the dark? 

Give Us Good Courage

Dear God,

I’ve asked for so many things during this ridiculous pandemic: patience, forbearance, peace, safety, forgiveness, and a new season of the Great British Bake-Off.

But I’ve never asked for courage.

So, if courage is something you can give us more of, I think now would be a good time. 

(Or maybe it doesn't work like that; maybe we don't get an extra measure of what we need only when we think to ask for it and ask nicely; like a second helping of gruel from the abusive guy who runs the orphanage.) 

I’m asking for courage because I’ve tried ignoring my fear and that only works for like, 4 minutes. And I’ve tried resisting it but that seems to make my fear stronger like I’m its personal trainer. 

So, give me courage, Lord, to show up in life despite the fear.

Courage to love, despite having been hurt.

Courage to heal, even though I sometimes love my wounds.

Courage to feel lonely and know it will not destroy me.

Courage to clean the kitchen.

Courage to trust that all I have needed, your hand hath already provided.

Amen.



No comments: