Friday, April 02, 2021

Christ, Our Bridge Over Troubled Waters

 


1 O sacred head, sore wounded, with grief and shame weighed down;

now scornfully surrounded with thorns, thine only crown:

how art thou pale with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn;

how does that visage languish, which once was bright as morn!

3 What language shall I borrow to thank thee, dearest friend,

for this thy dying sorrow, thy pity without end?

O make me thine forever; and, should I fainting be,

Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to thee.

Have Good Friday services ever been well attended in the United Church compared to Palm Sunday or Easter? I served congregations where we had 100 or more of our own folk, and in three communities we joined with others for Good Friday services. In Sudbury it was the seven United Churches where we had a combined choir of 60 or more, and several hundred congregants.Still, many people chose to avoid what for them was a funeral they didn't want to attend. I've found Good Friday services to be deeply meaningful, often including both traditional and contemporary hymns.

One of those old hymns, perhaps one I appreciate less than others, is O Sacred Head Sore Wounded, which dates back more than 400 years. The music was written by Hans Hassler and harmonized by JS Bach. How would we feel if  Bridge Over Troubled Water, a 60's folk anthem by Simon and Garfunkel, was alongside O Sacred Head? Would it be inappropriate or irreverent? 

Yesterday I saw a Paul Simon interview by Dick Cavett in the year Bridge Over Troubled Water was released, 1970. Cavett asked Simon, who was in his late 20's, about how the song came into being. Paul had his guitar at hand so he played as he explained how it unfolded. 

He mentioned that he had been listening to a Bach piece which he hummed and which was the tune to O Sacred Head. Then he spoke about listening to some gospel music and incorporating chords into the song he was writing. He admitted that he pilfered the "bridge over troubled waters" phrase from a spontaneous scat exclamation from another band. 

All of this came together in a song which has been covered many times by some of the best-known musicians in the world. And it really does have the feel of a hymn, one which might be appropriate for Good Friday. The Christ of the cross is our bridge over the troubled waters of our lives. 

When you're weary

Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I'll dry them all
I'm on your side
Oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I'll dry them all
I'm on your side
Oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.


No comments: