Saturday, April 03, 2021

Patient Waiting on Holy Saturday

 


When Ruth, my wife, got word that she was eligible for a vaccination because of her volunteer work with a local food ministry I was really happy, We have been careful about our contacts with others since the beginning of the pandemic and despite Ruth's assurances about protocols, her involvement with distributing meals has made me the most nervous.

She had her first jab within days of the notification and other than a sore shoulder she hasn't missed a step. During the first couple of days after I realized that I was...what?...a little blue, and irritated. It wasn't that I begrudged Ruth her vaccination. I was suddenly impatient, looking to see when I was in the right age group for our region of Ontario, wondering why other areas seemed to be moving more quickly. I was annoyed that our provincial government had done such a poor job of planning for the roll-out of vaccinations, and I read every announcement  from the feds about a new shipment. In Ontario a retired general was hired for our "war" on COVID, and that went rather poorly. 

Today is Holy Saturday, the strange, rather empty day between Good Friday and Resurrection Day. The liturgical Christian churches have done their best to make something of this day, but it is curious time of waiting for the outcome of the empty tomb. 

I sense that we have been in a thirteen month long Holy Saturday, with the elements of uncertainty, fear, cautious optimism, disappointment, and genuine hope. We're now seeing the articles about the form of anxiety which develops when we sense the end is in sight. Psychologically, this "dash to the finish" involves increased alertness, competitiveness, and anticipation, according to a piece in the Globe and Mail today by Philip Preville called When the End is in Sight.

I think that rather than use a military metaphor about what is transpiring with COVID right now, I'll rest in my Holy Saturday tradition and faith. Do I know what the outcome will be. The fact that we are in a third shut-down, or lock-down lite, shows that we need to be humble, and, if possible, patient. I'll do my best to wait my turn with grace, and hope that those whose lives are most at risk get to be at the head of the line for a vaccination. Didn't Jesus say something about the last being first, and first last? 

Today assures me that "in life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us. We are not alone. And tomorrow we can affirm the joy of resurrection life. There is light at the end of the tomb. 

                 
                                                Empty Tomb or Life and Death -- Mark Jennings



1 comment:

roger said...

David, you have every right to be concerned and irritated about being vaccinated. In your age group, you should have been right at the top of the list.

I get irritated when I hear 20 year olds receiving the vaccine because they worked at a pharmacy and there were extra vaccines available. If that was the case, they should have gone to seniors or those at risk.

Unfortunately, it appears the variants are winning the race with the vaccine. I hope the summer brings us this "new normal" the medical experts are promising.