Saturday, June 19, 2021

Father's Day & Faithfulness

Through the decades both Mother's Day and Father's Day have been acknowledged in many churches. Even though I think mothers and fathers should be honoured -- hey, it's a biblical commandment -- it's often felt like the tail wagging the dog, with the commercial rah-rah seeping into services of worship. This must have been hurtful for those who wanted to be parents but couldn't for various reasons, or for those who had fraught relationships with parents. Fathers Day was always the less important of the two anyway, with moms getting the prime billing. 
 
In anticipation of Fathers Day, which is tomorrow, I want to acknowledge our son, Isaac, who is an exceptional dad, in my estimation. Isaac is a United Church minister in the congregation we now attend. He is diligent, creative, and pastoral. His deep Christian faith is evident in everything he does. 

Isaac is also committed to work/life balance, so his two young children and his wife are priorities. He is both playful and patient with his kids and I admire his approach to parenting, which involves plenty of presence.  I think I was a loving parent to our three children but I was immersed in very active congregations, as well as the wider community when they were young. I worked from dawn until past dusk far too many days and it was Ruth, my wife, who was the glue of family life. 

It is so tempting for clergy to become overly involved in their congregational and to take their families for granted. Folk have a tendency to shrug their shoulders and reward the imbalance.In some instances congregations make the right noises about balance but have expectations which are impossibly high for their clergy. I don't remember being asked if I was spending enough time with my family by those who were responsible for my care and feeding in congregations. 

Well done, Ike, for being a "good and faithful servant" as a father, a husband, and as a pastor. Oh yes, happy birthday as well! You are loved and admired.



4 comments:

shirport said...

Amen to all of the above!

Judy said...

Isn't it great when you you have adult children that you admire and want to congratulate regularly?

Unknown said...

Thanks Dad! I love you a bunch!

David Mundy said...

Thanks to all of you, including the subject of this blog!