Wednesday, June 23, 2021

The Hope Muscle and Vaccines


I wait for the 
Lord, my soul waits,

   and in his word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord
   more than those who watch for the morning,
   more than those who watch for the morning.

from Psalm 130 NRSV

At the beginning of last week those of us who had dutifully received a first COVID-19 vaccination were trying to figure out why we were being penalized, left off the list of those eligible for a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. I was trying my best not to be glum or angry as more and more people I knew were getting their second-jab appointments, including Ruth, my wife. Of course I wasn't annoyed with them, and I knew my time would come. My self pep-talk included the reminder that originally our first shots were to happen in June until the timetable moved up.This was FOMO (fear of missing out) and I needed to relax. 

On Friday morning I prayed that I would stay patient, and I came upon the intro for a podcast interview with NPR's On Being host, Krista Tippett. In the interview she said that hope "is a muscle that keeps us moving and acting and doing."  I really liked the notion that hope can be developed like my paddling or cycling muscles and that it can grow stronger through discipline and repetition. I'm not the most patient guy but I was certainly aware that others might be a higher priority, so I could just keep working out my hope. 

That afternoon I looked at the Quinte Health Care "dashboard" for an update on the numbers of COVID cases in the region (virtually none) and saw a banner advertising vaccination appointments which had just been made available. Even though I was away from home I proceeded to book my second jab on my phone. Four days later -- yesterday -- I got my Moderna second shot and could hardly believe it as I walk away a few minutes later. 

I liked that my vaccine certificate says it was an "intramuscular" dose. And as I write Ruth is getting her second vaccination. 

While we figure we will exercise caution for the rest of 2021 we also know that two weeks down the road possibilities will open for us, including reconnecting with two of our grandchildren with whom we've had limited in-person contact. This fills us with hope and joy. 

Since about 20% of Canadians have received two vaccinations I imagine some of you are chafing at the "hurry up and wait" realities of trying to book an appointment. Hang in there and exercise that hope muscle. Millions of doses are wending their way to Canada, and you will be a recipient before long! 





No comments: