Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Charlie Watts & Sympathy for the Devil

 


Rolling Stones or Beatles....Beatles or Stones -- there was an ongoing, overly earnest debate in which I likely participated as a Beatles fan about the greatest rock/pop band of the era. Of course, there were lots of other worthy contenders. The Stones were raw and the Beatles were constantly innovative. The Beatles were frisky in the early days but became more workmanlike on the stage and toured less. The Stones were always in front of audiences and had Mick Jagger as their over-the-top showman. Both had drummers in Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts who didn't draw attention but were at the core of the there respective band's beat. 

Charlie Watts died a couple of days ago at the age of 80 having led a quiet later life in rural Devon with his wife of nearly 60 years, Shirley Ann Shepherd. He once commented that his marriage was successful because he wasn't really a rock star. He certainly was, even though he chose not to follow most of the stereotypes (he did have a period of drug addiction which his wife helped him through.)

I will say that while I continue to be a huge Beatles fan I don't recall ever quoting one of their songs in a sermon. I did draw on the lyrics of the Stones Sympathy for the Devil (1968) a couple of times through the years because the song is brilliant at addressing the reality of evil through the ages. It was often decried and even banned from the BBC for a while, but it is fascinating. Here are the lyrics: 

Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole million man's soul an faith
And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
Stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed Tsar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah
I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made
I shouted out
Who killed the Kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me
Let me please introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby


No comments: