Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Choosing to Enter the Passion of Jesus


As a retiree it seems as though I have a lot of time on my hands and that my life is not my own. That may sound contradictory but while there is a certain blessed spaciousness to retirement our monthly wall calendar (yes, we still have one) fills us with a variety of commitments and activities, even with pandemic precautions. 

I was to lead a brief study group focussing on Holy Week, the period between Palm/Passion Sunday and Holy Saturday but those plans changed. I did begin my preparations using three books as a foundation for our exploration and discussion,  all of which offer excellent and varying perspectives. They are:

The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem by Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan
Jesus, the Final Days: What Really Happened by Craig Evans and NT Wright
Entering the Passion of Jesus: A Beginner's Guide by Amy-Jill Levine



The first two I've had for years. Levine's book was purchased on recommendation and once again her Jewish perspective with a heartfelt respect for the Christian story offers insights which are very helpful.

Many of us grew up in mainline Protestant churches which moved from Palm Sunday as a celebratory event to Easter, with a Good Friday service along the way. The crucifixion was both crucial, literally, and discomfiting, and usually not well attended.  Maundy Thursday, a commemoration of Jesus' final meal with his followers, was introduced along the way in some congregations, including several that I served. Many people were puzzled by this inclusion.  I was dismayed to learn that before the pandemic one congregation I served dispensed with Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services. Telling this story liturgically is essential to our Christian faith. 

Palm/Passion Sunday is only 10 days away and whether we recognize Holy Week devotionally or in worship, or both, I hope we can all enter into the powerful mystery of Christ's passion on the journey to Easter. 



No comments: