Sons of Jacob Synagogue bullet-riddled window
Zebulun shall settle at the shore of the sea;
he shall be a haven for ships,
and his border shall be at Sidon.
Genesis 49:13 NRSVue
On Yom Kippur a gunman was stopped in his attempt to enter the Sons of Jacob Synagogue in Belleville, Ontario, with the terrible purpose of killing those who had gathering for the holiest day in the Jewish year. The police officer who thwarted the attack is still recovering from multiple wounds and the perpetrator died. It was the most violent anti-Semitic act among many in Canada this year
One graphic image from this incident was a portion of the large stained glass panel in the synagogue facing the street, riddled with bullet holes. Each of these hexagons represents one of the sons of Judah and tribes of Israel, The one which was damaged is obscured in the photo below.
I was curious as to why it depicts a sailing ship. I have passed by the synagogue often through the years and honestly I have barely registered the window. Yesterday I stopped on my way home and walked up to it for a better look and could have touched the damage.
Why a ship with billowing sails? I've done a bit of research and Zebulun and his descendants were known as seafarers from the port of Jaffa, even though the verse mentions Sidon, hence the sailing ship image. They fished and also collected sea creatures whose dye offers the colour of blue incorporated in the flag of Israel. Most Jewish art does not portray the human form so the ship represents Zebulun.
I'm sorry that it took such a ghastly incident for me to become better informed about this window. I realize that I have seen an exterior clock near the Western Wall in Jerusalem that also portrays symbols of the twelve tribes and sons of Jacob and we were in Jaffa three years ago as well. The clock also represents Zebulun with a ship.
It's gratifying to hear from synagogue president Norm Weddum that nearly nearly $100,000 had been raised from the public to restore and provide better security for Sons of Jacob, even as we know that this attack should never have happened. The congregation plans to resume worship, including Sukkot, a time of rejoicing and thanksgiving. G_d bless them.
No comments:
Post a Comment