Saturday, October 03, 2026

What Home Means to Us

 

 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world,  for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’

                                       Matthew 25: 34-36 NRSVue

Today we will make our way to Batawa, just north of Trenton, Ontario for this year's version of Walk 'N Roll for Refugees. This is in support of AURA and the impetus is through Trenton United Church, our home congregation. The cycle option is a reasonable 10 km to accommodate riders of all ages. It's meaningful for us to be involved in such an important initiative each year with our two Trenton grandchildren. 

We are aware that anti-immigrant sentiment has grown in Canada and with that a hardening of our generous hearts toward refugees. It was so impressive when In 2015 Canadians, including folk in the Belleville congregation I served then, sponsored tens of thousands of Syrian refugees. The dedication to providing a practical and warm welcome was evident across the country.  These sponsorships changed the lives of those who arrived for refuge and made us a better nation, in my estimation. 

Today's event will raise money for a worthy organization and make a statement that our faith is grounded in the words of the prophets and the teaching of Jesus. Here is a portion of the news release:  

Trenton United Church invites the community to get moving for a meaningful cause at the 2026 Walk ‘N’ Roll for Refugees, taking place on October 3, from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Batawa Community Centre, 81 Plant Street, Quinte West.

Since 2021, members of Trenton United Church and the wider Quinte West community have participated annually in support of the Anglican United Refugee Alliance (AURA).   Over the last six years, the team has raised more than $15,000 in support of AURA’s work with refugees seeking safety and the opportunity to build a new life in Canada.

This year’s theme, “What Home Means to Us,” invites participants to reflect on the security, belonging and hope that come with having a place to call home.

No comments: