Thursday, September 06, 2007

Bloggin' On!

When I began my blog a year ago I wasn't all that sure why I would venture into something that was so far beyond my day-to-day experience and comfort zone. When it was first suggested by our webmaster, Dean, I was hazy on what a weblog was and I doubt that I had ever visited one.

What was I supposed to natter on about? It turns out that I use my blog to do some reflection on my personal life, my work in ministry, and my perception of the world we live in. Because it is on our church website I include some "Godtalk" in every entry, and I do believe that God can be at the centre of everything in life. I make my comments on the state of the world but I try not be too controversial. It has become a way to meet up with you between Sundays.

I heard today that there are 30 million bloggers in China and that this is as close to free speech as is possible in this rapidly changing nation with 1.2 billion citizens. The commentator suggested that political and social change may be hastened by the critiques of these bloggers. I certainly don't know if this is the case, but wouldn't it be great if it were true.

I am dubious about some aspects of our rapidly changing technology. We are fed so much information without a whole lot of wisdom. But maybe we will look back a few years from now and conclude that the blogosphere is a help rather than a hindrance.

Although my goals are much more modest than changing the world, I will keep plugging away.

No comments: