Thursday, September 20, 2007

More Clergy Stress

I can't get over the number of people who have read the Toronto Star article on clergy stress I mentioned a couple of days ago and chatted with me about it. I can't remember a newspaper piece which has generated more response. Some are surprised by the assertions, although not skeptical, and others have already figured that this must be the case.

I'm not sure what to make of the discussion. Is there some part of most of us, including clergy, which holds on to an image of the invincible spiritual leader able to vanquish evil and jump over tall pulpits at a single bound?

I can really only speak about what I have discovered along the way. I have finite human resources, even when I seek God's strength and guidance. The more I attempt to be superhuman the more likely I am to "crash and burn." I love people but I can't be Jesus. I am a better husband, parent, pastor, person, when I understand my limitations. I'm a Christian seven days a week and twenty four hours a day. But I can only be a pastor some of the time, both as a high calling and as a job that pays the bills.

We will all do better to live beyond the myths.

No comments: