Wednesday, April 16, 2008

As Comes the Breath of Spring

A former co-worker from my Northern Ontario days contacted me recently, wondering if Spring is still my favourite time of the year. I was touched that she remembered and replied that it is. I love that virtually day by day we can see the emerging signs of new life, if we choose.

The earlier switch to Daylight Savings this year have offered the opportunity to walk in the evening and we have taken advantage. On Sunday afternoon we made our way to Lake Ontario at Second Marsh and along the way we saw kingfishers and swallows and common terns for the first time this season. Blue herons were everywhere and aggressive Canada geese tried to honk us away from their nesting sites.

In town the rainbow trout are flinging their way upstream at the Goodyear dam and songbirds are everywhere. I have been checking the emerging buds on our serviceberry tree, looking forward to the lovely white blossoms. The garlic bulbs we planted in the garden last Fall are up and running.

One of my all-time favourite hymns begins

As comes the breath of Spring with light and mirth and song,
So does your Spirit bring new days brave, free and strong.
You come with thrill of life to chase hence winter's breath,
to hush to peace the strife of sin that ends in death.

The world declares "life is good and God the creator is great" without saying a word in any human language. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Me again! I think that while you are 'resting' you should write a book. Your attention to detail and your ability to put it into words that allow us (who just see a 'bird') to see what you see is a gift. Just a thought (I seem to have a lot of them!)

David Mundy said...

You sound a lot like a mutual friend named Ruth.