Friday, April 25, 2008

Kindness Intravenous

I have been pleasantly surprised by the daily expressions of support by parishioners, friends, family during the past two weeks. Going on restorative leave was not an easy decision for me and there has been a strong sense of disorientation during the first days of adjustment. I have yet to "ramp down" and Ruth has enjoyed the flurry of washed windows and floors, yard work and folded laundry.

Every single day someone has reached out. I wouldn't describe the response from folk as a torrent. It is somewhere between a trickle and a stream, a steady flow of kindness and reassurance. Maybe it is a form of emotional and spiritual intravenous drip, helping me in a process of recovery. Some of the cards and emails have been brief in content. Others have contained messages and candid reflections on similar experiences. All are appreciated.

I don't anticipate that this will continue for long but in these first couple of weeks it has been just what I needed. Our experience of God's grace and love is often mediated through those around us and I appreciate what I have experienced.

No comments: