Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Real Men Wear Prayer Shawls

I was out this morning and returned to a bag containing two prayer shawls. One was, shall we say, normal in size. The other was man-size. Big man size. Both were beautiful and the gift of a colleague in ministry and her daughters. I was touched for a number of reasons. Ruth has been instrumental in getting an effective prayer shawl ministry going at St. Paul's and now she is the recipient during a tough time in her life. It hadn't occurred to me that I might "shawl up" as a guy, but as I wrapped it around my shoulders I felt comforted. What a thoughtful demonstration of support.

A while ago I mentioned my appreciation of the cards and emails and other expressions of kindness. I figured that they might continue for a week or two, but again this morning cards arrived for both of us and they were so helpful. I am certainly not tiring of these gestures of kindness.

I also saw a member of the congregation while in the drugstore today and decided to go over and say hello. I didn't know what to expect because she lives with Alzheimer's. She recognized me immediately and took my hand as she told me that I was missed.

Where would we be without Christian community? Where would I be?

I'll take a photo of the shawls and post it.

2 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

I have received a couple of prayer shawls, and whenever I wrap one around myself, I feel loved; I feel warmth and comfort; I feel as if someone put a lot of effort into creating such a beautiful creation just for me. I treasure them.

Lynnof60 said...

As you know the prayer shawl was a source of much comfort during our time with Quinn. It served many purposes. Thrown over Mom's head to shield against the beeping and busyness of the Intensive Care Unit; a cover to keep Mom warm; when the news seemed to be going from bad to worse it was around both Mom and Dad's shoulders holding them together during their grief. Matthew said that he thought he would have to perform an intervention between the shawl and Katherine when all was said and done. It was a miracle (see previous blog!!!)