Monday, May 19, 2008

The Truly Big Give


Oprah Winfrey is cancelling her show. Not THE show -- that would be the source of international wailing and gnashing of teeth. She has decided not to renew The Big Give, a so-called reality show in which contestants devised ways to be generous. The last and presumably most creative giver standing won a million dollars. I think this is the premise because I never saw the program and now I never will.

Still, I am glad it died a quick and natural death. Since when has true generosity entailed a big pay-off for the giver? It's certainly not what Jesus taught. In the Sermon on the Mount. He encouraged his listeners not to "trumpet" their alms-giving so that others will know what they have done. Give so your right hand doesn't know what your left hand is doing, Jesus says. No press conferences, no buildings named after you. Just give because it is the right and godly thing to do.

Now, Jesus does say that God will reward our secret giving. Surely that is the highest praise.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

I never watched the show either. It kind of felt wrong to me, and I have lost some of my respect for Oprah. I still think she is an amazing women, but worry that it's still all about the money. How can one put a price on giving?

That is one lesson that I try and share with the boys. Sometimes they will do something without being asked, and when I say how grateful I am, they ask whether I will be giving them a reward. I tell them that their reward is my thanks and my love and the good feeling they get from helping. I hope that message will sink in.