Friday, September 12, 2008

Back from Green Pastures


What is it, ten or eleven weeks since I last blogged? During this self-imposed silence I have been away a good chunk of the time as part of my restorative leave from the life of St. Paul's. Last week I began easing back into the work of the congregation although not yet into worship life. That will come on September 21st. Today I signed hundreds of letters to be sent out to the congregation informing everyone of my gradual return.

It was good to be without access to the internet and even the telephone at times. This was an important aspect of restoring my soul, even though I had a hankerin' for a baseball score from time to time and plenty that I could have blogged about.

The photo here was one I took while I was away. I am accustomed to seeing blue herons by still waters, motionless as they wait for dinner to swim by. I saw the same intensity and concentration in this heron, but at the edge of a roiling river. It's always a challenge to find inner stillness next to the whitewater, and the challenge of our age.

We'll see how that works for me after this time of stepping away from the busyness of ministry. People have been wonderfully supportive and the congregation and staff have done admirably. I look forward to reconnecting with the flock in the days ahead.

3 comments:

David Mundy said...

Thanks Nancy.

Laurie said...

Glad your blogs are back. Missed them this summer.

David Mundy said...

Thank you Laurie. I received notes from several people through the summer who I didn't realize were readers. It's gratifying to know that they are of some benefit.