Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Struggle Continues


The United Church of Canada has been ordaining women since the late 1930's, although those first women pastors did not have an easy time finding pastorates. Today more than half the students in our seminaries are women. My predecessor, Rev. Nancy, was much loved and effective for nine years at St. Paul's, and Rev. Cathy is a welcome addition to our staff. At least three women in ministry did internships at St. Paul's and are serving the wider church. We take for granted that leadership is not gender-specific.

I saw this past week that the one hundred Southern Baptist bookstores in the States have taken the latest issue of Gospel Today, an evangelical magazine, off their stands. Why? It features women pastors on the cover and a feature article about them inside. Every once in a while there are the little jolts, the reminders that issues of equality are still front and centre in some denominations.

The good news is that change continues to take place. In the Spring of 2007 Reformed churches in the U.S and Canada voted to open ordained ministry to women.
The struggle for equality continues but there are many hopeful signs.

5 comments:

shirport said...

Just saw an item on the news where several Southern Baptist students who were being interviewed said that they have no problem with Sarah Palin being a "heartbeat away from the presidency" but would definitely not want her to be their pastor.Go figure!

David Mundy said...

Isn't it great that some Christians are fine with an incompetent going to war with Iran but wouldn't want that same person telling them "Jesus loves you" from the pulpit!

Lynnof60 said...

It is just too ludicrous.....

Deborah Laforet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah Laforet said...

I am really surprised to hear about this issue being taken off the shelves. I know that women still have a long ways to go in their struggle for respect and equality, but that still surprises me.

As a woman in the pulpit, I don't feel in the United Church that I have been treated with less respect. In fact, when I feel belittled or not taken seriously, it is usually because of my age. I am a young female pastor in an aging church. I hear a lot about what is wrong with young people today, and sometimes it drives me crazy!

I do live in a community though where all the other ministry people are male and much older than me, and at times I do feel that I have to prove myself capable. An of course, there are those who call me "honey" and sweetheart" and feel that they can hug me or put their arm around me without permission. Ugh!