Monday, September 15, 2008

Thou Shalt Get Buff


Last week there was a front page article in a Canadian national newspaper headlined The Eleventh Commandment: Thou Shalt Get Buff about the growing trend in what appears to be conservative Christian congregations toward promoting fitness. Pastors who may have taken a more "pie-in-the-sky" approach to faith are leading by example and shedding the pudding through various forms of physical activity. As some of these faith families build new facilities they are including fitness rooms to promote good health.

I noticed that no United Church clergy were interviewed. It's strange. Even though the UCC espouses a practical and earthy Christianity, in my training for ministry and nearly three decades in the pastorate there has been next to no official emphasis on physical fitness. The United Church Observer magazine has addressed the subject well.We like to talk about "body, mind, and spirit" but there is a greater emphasis on the latter two.

After a moderator visited St. Paul's a couple of years ago I drove him back to Toronto and bent his ear. I suggested that continuing education funding be opened up to include gym memberships and that the national church provide incentives to clergy and their congregations for fitness activities. I offered that it would probably take some strain off our health benefits program since we have an aging workforce. Clergy live a fairly sedentary lifestyle in which people encourage us to eat at every turn. He sounded interested (I did have a captive audience) but so far, no announcements.

In the meantime I keep going to the gym and engaging in outdoor activities. I try to walk in a town which is based on hopping into a car for just about everything. I figure if Jesus and the disciples hoofed it everywhere it is probably a good idea.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I think the message is getting out slowly. With 42 participants in the Terry Fox run yesterday from St. Pauls, the largest group yet, and a growing number in the two fitness classes offered at the church, more people are getting fit. I agree though that there should be an incentive for you as leaders within our churches. Teachers through their union are offered discounted prices for their memberships to gyms etc..... Maybe that's the answer, unionized clergy.....:) I know, another discussion item, I say this tongue and cheek:)

David Mundy said...

Hi Nancy. That's great that so many were involved in Terry Fox and you're right about the groups offered through St. Paul's.

I saw so many of our teachers at the gym I go to that I contacted the head office about discounts for clergy and they were quite open. In fact they told me the Anglicans had been there first. I also mentioned this to the moderator but...

- said...

I totally agree that pastors/leaders/clergy in our churches need to lead by example in this area. I am a pastor in a denomination that really struggles in this area. I wrote about it at Fat Church and Bring on the Buffets.

David Mundy said...

I appreciate your perspective Greg, as someone who is a part of one of the largest (no pun intended) denominations in the United States. I hope my blog readers take a look at your articles.

Part of this is physiological -- we are programmed to binge in times of plenty to compensate for the lean days. The trouble is, few of us experience lean times anymore and most of us don't have physically demanding jobs.

This is also a spiritual issue and we need to figure out what hunger are not being met, even though we claim to have transforming relationships with Christ.