Thursday, October 09, 2008

Birthday Inspiration

Yesterday was my birthday, but since they haven't yet declared it a national holiday I came to work. The bible study group knew it was my natal day and kindly recognized it -- they even told me I could have cancelled for the occasion. Instead we spent time considering the Thanksgiving scripture readings. They are a thankful bunch even though they have dealt with loss of loved ones, divorce, kids gone AWOL, failing health. I find them to be an inspirational group of people.

In the afternoon I visited seniors in two households who are dealing with cancer. Tears, laughter, determination in both situations. Some might think this would be a "downer" for a birthday. Actually, I found these visits to be very meaningful and once again I was reminded of the privilege of sharing profound moments, including the tough ones, with members of the flock. With the study group and in the visits we prayed as a way of inviting God into the circle of concern and care.

I came home to much love and attention from my family and I was very grateful.
**********************************************************
There have been more "Johnny Come Lately" (actually Jill Come Lately" ) responses to blog discussions. Take a look if you have time.

5 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

Happy Birthday David! It sounds like you had a very meaningful one.

I also receive inspiration and encouragement from my lectionary study group. There aren't very many of them yet, but it is the one time during the week when I get to share with others our experiences with God and how the bible affects our lives today.

Next time, tell everyone I said "Hi!"

David Mundy said...

Thanks Deb. It was a lucky 13 yesterday, but I'm not superstitious. I'm sure you're group will grow.I will pass on your hello.

At the risk of seeming coy, the last two digits of my year of birth and my actual age now correspond!

Laura said...

I have often thought as hard times are happening in families, the silver lining can be in the authentic, stripped down, helpless but hopeful moments when love and faith are all that matter and deep connections happen.

Your last remark to Deb shall become a math problem for Amy ...she''ll be thrilled. Happy birthday,Happy Year to you!

David Mundy said...

I'm going to write down your first paragraph Laura because it describes the Christian grace "just as I am, without one plea" message so well.

I'm glad to be an inadvertent source of math homework!

Anonymous said...

Laura
Your first paragraph was very helpful. There is nothing left but love right now. It is all we have to hang on to.