Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Reason to Vote

Sister Cecilia Gaudette is a 106-year-old American nun who hasn't voted since 1952 when she cast her ballot for Eisenhower. Yet this year she will take part in the U.S. election even though she is in retirement in Vatican City. She has become quite a celebrity because of her resolve to support Barack Obama.

So what excuse do any of us have not to vote in our Canadian election today? I must admit that I have been disgusted by the tone of the supposed debate. It seems that the three major parties were more interested in slinging mud than in proposing programs and solutions. In some respects this election has been a waste of time and will bring us back to where we started.

In every election, though, I am aware of the freedom to cast my ballot. Earlier this year Zimbabweans who had escaped the oppressive regime swam across a river and back into danger because they wanted to vote. How can we stay at home because of indifference or cynicism?

The right to vote for our government is not God-given but we can thank God for the opportunity by heading to the polling station today.

5 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

I have finally decided to apply for my Canadian citizenship so that I can vote. For a long time I resisted it. I am a landed immigrant, and really the only reason to get my CN citizenship was to vote. I am proud to be an American, although I am not always proud of the actions of America.

I also believe that landed immigrants who have lived a number of years in Canada should be able to vote. I believe that not allowing them the right to vote silences a great number of people who live, work, and play in Canada and who are affected in every way by Canadian policy. Part of me wanted to stand in solidarity with this group of people, but if I am not doing anything about it, then I am really silencing myself.

That being said, I am tired of sitting on the sidelines. I want to have my say. So, maybe I will have a voice in the next election. And maybe, I will write a letter to Parliament about the right to vote for landed immigrants.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had something wise to say about voting. The truth is I vote because I know apathy has never been the solution to anything. Yet, I find casting my vote an exercise in futility, because I know no matter who I vote for nothing much changes for myself or for my family. I especially find listening to promises of money sent directly to my pocket annoying. First of all, I don't need charity; I need solutions a little more involved than a check in the mail. I need better medical care, better schools, etc. Second, wouldn't it make more sense to stop bribing me and work instead on the very structures that continually leave the working poor in a constant state of distress?

David Mundy said...

Have you done any research, Deb, to find out if other nations allow landed immigrants to vote? We will certainly welcome you as a new citizen when the time comes!

I too loathe being bribed for my vote, pupil. I don't need a penny or two off the GST. I want to live in a country that is well governed, which from my perspective means societal care and concern for those on the margins. More and more I see the Earth itself as a marginalized entity and want goverment to act decisively. So I will keep on voting.

Laurie said...

I started out to leave a comment on a number of issues within the comments, but deleted them instead.This is not a political forum. Just wanted to say that it brought a lot of discussion in my household today.Voting is a privilege that we can exercise in our country. Enjoy your blog.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Laurie. You're right about the political forum. We have three twenty-something children who all voted today. It looks as though the five of us voted for three different parties. What matters is choosing to vote.