Friday, October 10, 2008

Peace and Justice Mentor


Last week Indians celebrated the birthday of Mohandes Gandhi, the pacifist leader whose movement of non-violent resistance brought freedom to his nation and inspired others, including Martin Luther King Jr.

I was struck by the photos of children in India who dressed as Gandhi as part of the national tribute. What a wonderful way to help kids understand a historical leader.

Two vignettes about Gandhi which are important to me. Gandhi, the Hindu, read Jesus' Sermon on the Mount through the years as a manifesto for peaceful change.

Then there is the story of Gandhi, the young lawyer living in South Africa, beginning a movement of resistance there before returning to India. One day he ran for a train and as he jumped aboard one of his shoes fell off and onto the platform. Reacting quickly Gandhi pulled off the other shoe and threw it back toward the one that had slipped off. He figured that some poor soul could benefit from the pair. A fine example of simple generosity as we find our way into the Thanksgiving weekend.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday past.
The movie "Gandhi" is one movie worth watching once a year.If only his message of peace was heard by more leaders.

David Mundy said...

I agree. I haven't watched the film in years but I remember it as an excellent film.

Anonymous said...

I am learning to love more generously everyday, as I learn how to love a broken person. I thought I was compassionate before, and surely I have been; but, now when I pass by a street person, or a thug, I see my own flesh and blood reaching out for acceptance. In every drug addict, in every criminal, in every rude person, there dwells a spirit unable to access the love being given. How horrible is that? It is as if there is a heavily guarded door between the person and an abundance that waits willing and longing to pour hope and purpose back into their lives.

David Mundy said...

As the years have gone by I have become increasingly aware of the Jesus of the gospels who sees people for who they are. The meek and the lowly are lifted up. The haughty and arrogant are challenged. He is willing to comfort and challenge all the way to the cross. Part of our walk as Christians is to follow this model, even when it makes us vulnerable.