Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Planting Promises


Weddings are such promising events, a celebration not only of the present but of the future. We heard this morning that Indonesia is now requiring proof that a couple has planted ten trees before they will be issued a marriage license. This environmental initiative certainly looks to the future and is a wonderful program. Indonesia has huge forested areas but rampant cutting has reduced forests by about forty percent in the last fifty years.

There are many references to trees in scripture and they are often signs of both spiritual renewal and praise for the Creator. There is a tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden of Genesis, and the tree of life in the city of Revelation. Every February the Jewish religion has a festival of trees which is called Tu Bishvat.

We were out for a walk on Sunday afternoon and with the cold winter wind we could hear the clatter of bare branches against one another. I can hardly wait until those branches are covered with leaves again and offer a different song in the breeze.

Oh yes, when divorcing Indonesians have to plant one tree!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actaully have an ongoing relationship with the tree in my yard. I can see it from where ever I am in the living room. I speak to this tree every day. We have had many a cup of tea together. I have even argued with it, which shows how closly related we really are to all living things. It may just show much therapy I need, but I think others will agree that it is difficult not to personify a tree, and I think this speaks of a deeper connection than we realize.

Nancy said...

I have been to two weddings with trees as the focus. One where as the bride and groom's gift to everyone, we received seedlings and encouraged us to plant them, we did and the tree is quite a size today. At the other wedding the guests all received maple syrup from the bride's family sugar bush. I hear the sap is running on our family farm, still not quite enough for the sugar shack to be in full swing but a sign that the song in the breeze is about to change.

David Mundy said...

Staying on the good side of a tree seems like a smart plan to me. When we lived in Halifax (The City of Trees) I had a fifteen minute walk to work along tree-lined streets. On the way there was a massive oak which I would touch on my way by. I didn't talk to it, or hug it, but I wanted to!

Nifty wedding ideas -- we might say sweet ideas.

Thank you for both of these responses.

shirport said...

We received a clump of white birch trees as part of our wedding gift from my parents. We planted them on the front lawn and enjoyed watching them grow and provide shade for our front window.They were very special to me. Unfortunately they were badly damaged in the ice storm and had to be cut down. We have an anniversary coming up soon. Perhaps we should plant a tree!

David Mundy said...

I remember those trees Shirley but didn't realize the source. It can never hurt to plant a tree.