Thursday, March 05, 2009

Wrapped in Prayer

This evening I was at a meeting in one part of the church while my wife Ruth was at another elsewhere in the building. Still another meeting was happening in between us. Busy place.

In her gathering Ruth chaired a group of ten women armed with knitting needles. They brought the prayer shawls they had completed and others "in progress." They also brought shawls which were the product of women in the congregation who may not attend the meetings but want to contribute. During the meeting some of these were designated for individuals who need support in body, mind, and spirit right now. Others will be matched with recipients as needs arise.Each one will be offered along with a written prayer, but the shawl itself is a tangible prayer, warm and encompassing.

The St. Paul's prayer shawl ministry has continued to be important in this congregation and this evening one of the members of the group was given one because there have been demanding health issues in her family. It was the one hundredth shawl presented, a meaningful milestone.

Last year I told readers that Ruth and I each received a beautiful shawl from a colleague, and this gift lifted our spirits during a difficult time in our lives. Prayer takes many different forms and this one makes a difference. Thank God for the women who take the time to lovingly knit each shawl and present it with love.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I arrived home last week to a lovely note from an elderly neighbour to whom I had delivered a prayer shawl.She is just finishing up daily trips to Toronto for radiation therapy. She wrote of the warmth the shawl provided in her quiet life of recovery. I am so grateful to the loving knitters of our congragation. Often when times are so difficult, I am at a loss for tangible offerings to these friends and the prayer shawls wrap our love and concern and prayers around each other. Having received prayer shawls during a worrisome pregnancy myself, I know the Comfort I felt, and still feel through the soft wool and loving hands that made, and delivered my shawl.

shirport said...

What a wonderful and practical ministry this is. I'm sure it is a blessing to both those who knit the shawls and to those who receive them. Cards and flowers are nice, but somehow I think this gift would do more to wrap the recipient in the love and concern of his or her friends.

Deborah Laforet said...

I created my first prayer shawl last week, and also gave away my first prayer shawl. It was meaningful for me as well as the receiver. I have a feeling I will be making more. I am getting the sense that this may be a needed ministry here also.

David Mundy said...

It's great to know that this approach to prayer has become widespread. It is "wonderful and practical."