Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Joy of Snow


22Have you entered the storehouses of the snow,
or have you seen the storehouses of the hail?

29From whose womb did the ice come forth,
and who has given birth to the hoar-frost of heaven?

30The waters become hard like stone,
and the face of the deep is frozen.

These verses are from Job, chapter 38. Although I have already blogged for today I had to comment on the first snowstorm of the season. Even though we got off lightly (no snow at all, actually) during November, there was "shovel shock" this morning. After we came in from our labours I listened to the advice, given seriously during the CBC news, to adjust to the snow by driving with both hands on the steering wheel, a little slower, and to make sure that feet can reach the pedals. Okay, so no four-year-olds behind the wheel. Only in Southern Ontario would common sense be a breaking news item.

Children and dogs will probably regard today's snowfall as a gift from God. The rest of us can catch up to them. We cancelled our bible study this morning which would have focussed on the joy Sunday of Advent. The joy of snow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that really made me laugh. This is why I am not a driver. Just too much to think about all at once. Working hands and feet in tandem like that seems like too much when you put it that way. I will be sure to pass the tips on to Kevin though.

Laura said...

Just noticing the difference between the photo on Monday's blog and Wednesday's(today's)...the scope of Canadian winters.
You read my mind, as the kids have been "praying for snow" and squeal at any site of it (in December, anyways)and the dog was bouncing around the yard, I tried not to grumble too loudly as I heaved the heavy, wet stuff off the driveway.
I do like the winter's beauty, not winter driving though...and always feel saddened for our seniors who become a little more "shut in" during the season of snow. And I shant let my little one drive today...thanks for that advice.

Nancy said...

I too smiled at your blog and the advice from the CBC as I slowly made my way to work. Normally a 30 minute ride, nearly 60 minutes today. Having grown up in the north and learning to drive in the ice and snow, I KNOW to slow down, but it was unbelieveable what I saw on the roads today.
My daughter loved it, no buses usually means no school, however mean ole mom sent her, but mainly because SHE wanted to attend volleyball try outs! It will be a fun day for her, few kids and lots of teacher attention.

roger said...

You see...was that really so bad? I mean, outside of the bad driving conditions, soaking wet shoes(haven't got the sense to get the boots out yet), and getting splashed by cars. I'm sure people in Sask. would love to trade weather with us right now.

You've gotta love this country. I'll take four seasons over Hawaii or the Caribbean any day.