Sunday, December 06, 2009

Lest We Forget

It was twenty years ago today that a gunmen walked into Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique and opened fire on female engineering students. There was absolutely no provocation but fourteen promising young women lost their lives, as did the gunman who took his own life. The mother of the gunman heard about this massacre while at her church and before she knew that it was her son she suggested to others that they pray for those affected.

Days after this terrible event I was a male participant in a service and vigil hastily organized by some of my women colleagues. It felt awkward to be there someone, but my friends felt it was important that men be present. In the first few years afterward the congregation I served held memorial services in our chapel and distributed white ribbons to men on the Sunday closest to December sixth.

Much of that activity has faded although Rev. Cathy spoke on this subject today. My wife, Ruth, is the outreach worker for Bethesda House, the shelter for women and children leaving abusive relationships, so the issues of violence toward women are always around us.

I should mention that many people in Quebec are upset that the federal government is moving toward canning the gun registry in this country. While I was never all that impressed by the registry I understand why they feel we are headed in the wrong direction on this.

I hope we don't forget how important it is to educate, to remember, to work toward change. I'm convinced that the churches can have a significant role in this.
Take a look at this article in yesterday's Toronto Star featuring a survivor of the shootings. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/734817--lessons-of-the-montreal-massacre?bn=1

No comments: