Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Endings and Beginnings


At the end of worship on Sunday morning our Rev. Cathy announced that she was accepting a call to a congregation in Belleville, Ontario. The good news is that this is a great opportunity for her to minister to a Christian community which looks forward to her gifts and skills, and will welcome her with open arms.

At the same time it is our loss, because of what Cathy has brought to the life of the St. Paul's congregation, and also because of what we wanted to accomplish in calling her three years ago. Our Needs Assessment at that time told us that the congregation wanted more focussed staff time in the important area of ministry to children and youth. We knew that calling another full-time person would be a "stretch" but we went ahead in faith. While Cathy has worked diligently to fulfill her mandate, the money necessary to make this happen hasn't exactly flowed in. She is leaving reluctantly, having enjoyed St. Paul's, although with enthusiasm for her new position.

In this day when many congregations have no young people and virtually no adults under fifty, we were hoping to sustain the multi-generational diversity of St. Paul's. I see Cathy's departure as a step backward, motivated by financial constraints rather than a change in mission.

I have known what was transpiring for over a month now, because Cathy and I share an open and mutually supportive working relationship, so it has been a difficult secret to hold. I will miss what she brings to St. Paul's and do wonder what is next for me after seven years with this congregation. We are almost at the day of Pentecost, a good reminder that the Holy Spirit will still be at work. I'm just not sure how, or where.

8 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

I am saddened to hear that Rev. Cathy is leaving St. Paul's. It sounds like she has found an exciting new ministry to serve, but it sounds like St. Paul's will miss this addition to its ministry.

It is difficult to inspire the younger generation into our churches but I am still hopeful that it will happen. There are many young folks out there who are very passionate about their faith and in the United Church. It's going to take time, energy, creativeness, and hard work from those young folks and all of us to work with the Spirit in doing God's work in this world.

IanD said...

Very cryptic, toward the end, David.

Is this like when Chris Bosh changed his Twitter status from "Toronto" to "Everywhere?"

David Mundy said...

I felt that it was a courageous choice for St. Paul's in this time of down-sizing. You're right Deb, the creativity and energy will need to come from the folk who want this ministry for their children.

I'm not trying to be cryptic Ian, just honest. St. Paul's will now have to assess its options and so will I.

Thanks for your responses.

Laurie said...

Wow! I am sad for the youth at St.Pauls. I guess this puts more pressure on Rev.David. I hope something good comes out of this. I would hate to lose Rev. David, you bring a breath of fresh air to the church.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Laurie. We will find our way forward.

yogi said...

It is nice to see that I am not the only one who sees things this way. I have been thinking a great deal since Sunday about how the people of St. Paul's failed to rise to the challenge of adding a new staff person. She has done amazing things for the youth at St. Paul's. I truly hope that all the gains since her arrival won't be lost.

Laura said...

Amen, Yogi and Laurie. I think of that Garth Brooks song The Dance..."And now I'm glad I didn't know...The way it all would end the way it all would go...cuz I would have missed the dance."(lalala..and something like that) but couldn't help remember the beginning of Cathy's ministry and the enthusiasm, and the risk...and the warnings that it takes 2-3 years for a new ministry to take hold....Cathy's ministry took hold so much faster than that...unfortunately it took the rest of us that long to absorb the value and put our wallets behind it. That being said it was worth every moment of angst and every moment of growth and every farewell tear that now falls. We are changed because ot Cathy, and this bold dream...and I do believe we will find a way forward, and though at times it ways it feels that we have "failed' I wouldn't have missed the dance!

David Mundy said...

Each additional comment on this blog has added to the discussion. I'm glad that both Yogi and Laura have offered their thoughts.