Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mapping the Past


On my trips to Israel I have been fascinated by some of the archeological excavations which help us to explain events recorded in the bible, as well as giving clues to the other cultures and civilizations which have made that area home through the millennia. I didn't think I would find them so interesting before going to some of them, but I became so intrigued that for a time I subscribed to Biblical Archeology Review and avidly read other articles. In many respects it helped the bible come alive for me.

I came across an article on a new process of mapping archeological sites called Lidar. It is an aerial process that has been used successfully to look beneath the surface to reveal ancient settlements. Currently it is being used in central America to penetrate dense jungles to expand existing sites which formerly had to be hacked out with machetes and lots of "by guess and by golly." Above is the map for a Mayan town. Cool.

Any one else fascinated by archeology, biblical or otherwise? Do you just find it dusty and boring? Have you ever visited an archeological site?

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I find archaeology fascinating. Have spent many hours walking around Mayan sites, old Roman sites, stone circles etc.

Anonymous said...

I do find it fascinating, although I have never been to one. [unless you count cleaning out the kid's rooms, which can also lead to interesting finds and contemplations]

David Mundy said...

Sounds like some wonderful experiences Laurie.

Now pupil, if we could get one of those mapping planes to fly over your place...