Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Seniors and Depression


A recently published study claims that up to 44 per cent of the quarter-million seniors living in residential-care facilities in this country are suffering from clinical depression,. Researchers found that 26 per cent of residents of nursing homes, personal care homes and long-term care facilities have been diagnosed with depression and another 18 per cent have clear symptoms but no documented diagnosis of depression.

This doesn't surprise me for several reasons. Not all residences are created equal and some of them are environments which would certainly amplify sadness and depression. Even those facilities which are well-run and with caring staff can be grim, just because of the constant reminder of physical and mental fraility and death.

My mother lives in a beautiful residence (not a nursing home) which is essentially independent living, and she has a lovely apartment. She gathers with other residents for meals but she has total freedom to come and go. There are many activities, including the chapel services which she coordinates. Still, when there are several deaths in a short period of time it takes an emotional toll.

What an important reminder that congregations can provide spiritual support for those living in seniors' facilities. We have a wonderful cadre of people at St. Paul's who visit those who are in residences and our UCW reaches out several times a year. Cathy and I also visit in the roughly ten facilities in which our folk live.

Some of you have loved ones in seniors' facilities. Any thoughts on this issue of depression? How about the role of the church in providing support.

3 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

I have to admit that senior's homes are not my favourite places. I always feel way out of my element. It is a learning curve for me, but I know the importance of just sitting with those who are living in these residences, just so they know that someone cares.

Laura said...

For us, church support has been a lifeline offering comfort and strength.
As I sit with my Mom, I often think of the boredom for the residence, especially for those with more of their cognitive abilities remaining and could understand how depression could easily set in.

We also have noticed that dying is really played down in these homes. Residents seem to just disappear,often several close together in time, and unless you ask specifically after them, nothing is said. It does seem a shame not to honour, and grieve these lives in the community they lived,among the other residents, but I can understand their motive being to protect the other residents who are close to the end and much of the time must feel surrounded by death and grief.

David Mundy said...

It's good to read your perspectives, one as a person in ministry, the other as a supportive family member.

Deb, I think most colleagues would agree that this is one of the more challenging aspects of our work, and I have always found I need to push myself to head through the doors of those institutions. I have learned to look at the walls of residents, and let the photos and memorabilia register. They are the gateway to conversation.

Laura, you are a loving and conscientious daughter, and I always feel that the best form of support comes in partnership with families. I hadn't really thought about the avoidance of the realities of death in seniors' facilities, but it rings true. And seldom do residences get to attend the funerals and memorials which bring solace to others.