Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Glory of God


One of my favourite psalms, number nineteen begins:

1 The heavens are telling the glory of God;
and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
2 Day to day pours forth speech,
and night to night declares knowledge.
3 There is no speech, nor are there words;
their voice is not heard;
4 yet their voice goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world.

I appreciate it because this is my experience; I have often had a sense of the grandeur of God while looking into the night sky. I have seen the Northern Lights in the coldest days of winter but the summer sky offers its own gifts and no body parts fall off as a result of staring and pondering!

Take a look at this three-minute BBC video on noctilucent clouds http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10635796 I had never heard of noctilucent clouds before, but as the name suggests they are glowing clouds which are visible at night. I'm glad that I can keep learning about the infinite beauty of creation and I hope I never stop being amazed by the universe visible and invisible.

Any stories of night skies from this summer or any other summer?

2 comments:

IanD said...

My best friend and I booked it up to his family cottage in Buckhorn during March Break of my teacher's college year.

It was a great time, but the thing that stood out for me most was standing on the frozen lake at night, looking up at the stars and hearing absolutely nothing. Not a car, not a jet, not an animal ... absolutely nothing.

The silence was deafening; the stars blazing, and it was truly incredible, just being smacked by the size of creation like that.

Unknown said...

I have seen some amazing night skies in Ontario, but the most beautiful sky I ever saw was in Calgary in the winter. The aurora borealis there was spectacular! My son and his wife saw a beautiful sky the morning that my grand daughter was born and they named her Aurora! A special name for a very special little girl!