Friday, July 23, 2010

In Christ's Name

"Whenever you do this for one of the least of these, you do it to me" Jesus of Nazareth

I wasn't going to write about the Lunch on the Lawn hosted by St. Paul's congregation yesterday, but after the event was over I felt I needed to say something. About 30 people who are involved with Making Connections Clarington arrived around noon for a meal provided by a caring group of our women and one man. There were balloons and a strong welcome to those who gathered.

The food wasn't elaborate -- sandwiches and squares for the most part -- but it was tasty and there was plenty of it. Most of these folk live in group homes in the downtown of Bowmanville, and a fair number have mental health issues and other challenges. They love a chance to get together in a safe and encouraging environment and they love to eat! I find they are so friendly and really appreciative of the kindness they receive.

I think this is the local church at its strongest. Good people living out their Christian faith in a practical way.I may have offered the verbal welcome and said the prayer, but the organizers and workers were the real welcomers.
Did you know this event was happening? Any comments?

5 comments:

roger said...

Yes, I knew about the event and remember when I first heard about it thinking how much I supported it. I'm very glad it took place.

Nancy said...

I only knew the event was happening, when I arrived at the church to drop something off. As I approached I saw the balloons and wondered what was going on. As I got closer, I realized it was lunch for Clarington Connection. A very friendly welcoming, even for one who was not taking part.

IanD said...

Er ... perhaps if I lugged my carcus to church more I would have realized it was happening?!

(Slaps self.)

Good work everyone!

Laura said...

When we first moved to this neighbourhood, close to the church, I am embarassed to say I remember feeling a little concerned when I heard of these group homes very close by. With three young girls, I wasn't sure whether I needed to be more worried for their safety or not. My Christian beliefs told me no but societal influences had me feeling yes.
These neighbours, many of whom are Calrington Connection clients, have become the people we talk to every day as we cross paths in our small community, and these friendly folks have become one of things I love best about the neighbourhood.
Thanks to those who took the time and energy to celebrate these special people in our community.
Good food and socializing seems to increase for many of us in the summer and great that it could be extended to those too often left out.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to all of you. Laura, we had a similar experience in Sudbury. We discovered that our three younguns were walking past a halfway house for released inmates going to school.I was not happy about it, but Ruth reminded me that I had been the one who worked as a prison chaplain, and where else should these guys live. Fear is such a powerful force.

One of the organizers of yesterday's event was afraid of people with mental health issues, until she started working with them as a volunteer.

Ian, your carcass is always welcome, as well as your fine mind and other gifts. St. Paul's would benefit from your presence, not to mention the three lovely women in your life.