Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lament and Hope for the Sea



God willing. When we lived in Newfoundland, beginning in 1980, people would often append those two words "God willing" to the end of any conversation about their future plans, whether to make bread or travel to the mainland. It was a multi-purpose phrase, part superstition and part tradition with a sprinkling of faith.

Well we are in Newfoundland, God willing! Our plan was to fly out of Ontario to Gander yesterday and we will visit friends and the outports from another time in our lives. Since I won't have access to a computer most of the time I have posted some blog entries in advance. I hope you will read and respond during my absence, and I will check in if and when I can.

Ruth noted that we are going back to a very different landscape and seascape. When we arrived 30 years ago folk would dry codfish on flakes at the end of their stages or in their yards. As city slickers we were quite impressed by this time-tested skill. We could buy fresh cod for 25 cents a pound, or 50 cents if they were filleted. Now cod stocks are depleted to the point of extinction, something unimaginable even three decades ago.

I have included a couple of works by Newfoundland-born artist David Blackwood, although he now makes his home in Port Hope, just down the road from Bowmanville. The top one is called Master Mariner and is a lament for the loss of a way of life. The biblical reference from Isaiah 19 is "The fishers also shall mourn, and all they that cast into the brooks shall lament, and they that spread nets upon the waters shall languish."

We should lament this environmental disaster in the biblical sense, repenting of our foolishness, hearing the earth and sea cry out in pain at this affront to God the creator.

I hope we will hear some hopeful news while we are on The Rock, God willing. Blessings!

1 comment:

Laura said...

God-willing was a term my Grandma and Mom both used (although not east coast folks)and it was usually followed by a little chuckle. I never thought much of it.

It slips out of my mouth the odd time now though, when plans are being made and we seem to think we've thought of everything and are in complete control of the upcoming event/situation. And then then I think oh ya, there are other things, including God, at play in every situation and so surrender that feeling of control( and the tension that often goes with it) with a "God willing" and a smile. Probably good for the blood pressure.

I imagine there will be a fair bit of reminiscing. Amidst all the changes you will see hopefully some is truly progress.

As my kids would say "hope you holidays rock" (on The Rock). Travel safely.