Saturday, April 09, 2011

A New Kind of Monster


Last week Christie Blatchford, a no-nonsense crime reporter for the Globe and Mail, reviewed a new book by a colleague at the Globe about Russell Williams. Tim Appleby covered the Williams trial and has concluded that while the former armed forces major did horrendous things, he is not a psychopath. In fact, he uses interviews to demonstrate that for all his brutality Williams also demonstrated that he could be compassionate and understanding toward co-workers, and had a conscience. To quote from the article which in turn quotes the book:


“Williams was not that kind of murderer at all.” The rising military star “had feelings, emotions, attachments of all kinds: he cared about his wife, he cared about the military; he was devoted to his cats, and he also appears to have a moral compass …”


This may seem beyond belief to you, but I understand the point Appleby is making. When I began working at Kingston Penitentiary as a chaplain intern thirty odd years ago it was not the crimes men committed that unnerved me. It was that even knowing what they had done, I began to see that they were humans rather than monsters. It is tempting to move people into the realm of the monstrous because it is actually easier than asking how real people -- people who may have positive traits like ours -- could descend into evil. I was intrigued that Blatchford appreciated Appleby's "take" because she is no bleeding heart herself.


During those months at Kingston Pen I was pushed to ponder the nature of evil and ask whether the "monsters" were redeemable through the grace of God. It was one of the most important few months of my preparation for ministry and in ministry itself.


So what do you think? Too tough to swallow? Makes sense?

5 comments:

IanD said...

Too tough.

I never want to see this person's face or hear his name again.

Some thing are just beyond the pale.

roger said...

It is true that it can be hard to comprehend how someone who can seem gentle or caring can also commit heinous and appalling crimes.

I remember watching an episode of American Justice, and it showed Ted Bundy in court representing himself. This was a man who raped and killed dozens of women, and yet he seemed so soft spoken and articulate. In fact, even though he was found guilty and subsequently executed, the judge gave Bundy compliments about his demeanor and skill(although also saying that something had gone very wrong with him).

People are complex. We cannot be defined easily. However, I really don't care about anything else Williams has done that was good or decent. I don't care if he volunteered or helped little old ladies cross the street(I don't know if he did either of those). What matters to me is that two women experienced unimaginable pain and suffering at the hands of this monster. What matters to me is that they had their lives snuffed out, and their families to be destroyed, at the hands of this guy.

Deborah Laforet said...

I don't believe in monsters and I believe people are born inherently good. But...I look at a picture of this guy and know what he did, and I get chills. Yes, maybe he did good deeds and was compassionate towards co-workers but there is something sick and twisted in this guy's head which makes it all right for him to cause suffering to another.

There are some people who need to be locked away for the protection of others, but I agree that they are still people and need to be treated humanely.

Laurie said...

Ditto Deb's comments.

David Mundy said...

It is absolutely necessary that people such as Russell Williams are in prison and will be for the rest of their lives. They have chosen evil and cannot have the opportunity to repeat it.

I will say that I have visited individuals who have committed equally heinous crimes, although probably with less publicity. I always knew I was speaking with a human being.

Thanks all.