Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Slut Walk?

I was disturbed a few weeks ago when I heard that a Toronto Police officer advised a university crowd that if women didn't dress "slutty" they were less likely to be sexually assaulted. The officer was disciplined, as he should have been, but it was unsettling that this view would be expressed publically in this day.

Strangely, I was also disturbed when I heard of the "Slut Walk" which took place in Toronto this past Sunday to protest what happened. Now, I get the nature of the protest with its confrontational approach. Some women in the march wore short skirts and low-cut tops to make the statement that they should be able to wear what they want without fear of attack or comment. One mom was celebrating this with her fourteen-year-old daughter.


Still, it seems to me that our society has become incredibly confused over issues of sexuality and dignity. I have taken part in a number of Take Back the Night rallies and walks, so I thoroughly support the freedom of women to live without fear in circumstances men take for granted. I have done this in part because of my wife Ruth's work at a women's shelter, but I participated in earlier years because as a Christian I affirm Jesus's respect for all people and the biblical witness that he treated women with respect in a patriarchal society.


So why respond to offensive and inappropriate comments by sexualizing the event? We raised our daughters to have a sense of personal dignity and resist the relentless peer pressure and emphasis from early childhood to look "hot." And we still have those conversations, even though they are in their twenties.


What were your thoughts about this sequence of events? Is the response okay from your perspective, or were you unsettled as well?

8 comments:

IanD said...

A rather unfortunate moniker, methinks.

Man, what DON'T they pitch with sex now?! It's obvious that the event was in response to the officer's commentary. I get that.But isn't "slut walk" just a BIT over the top?

Remember the good ol' days? (Which for me started in 1991.) I remember Toronto mayor Barbara Hall refusing to allow the Bare Naked Ladies to perform downtown because their name was offensive to women.

"Slut walk" would have been off the CHARTS back then, had it happened. (Would it EVEN have happened, back then? Probably not.)

Laura said...

I totally struggle with this one. Help me...

I get the principle of it.. society saying people (women)should be able to wear whatever they want without fear of harm.
My disconnect comes with the practicality, and the "evil" that lurks in human nature.

If I had oodles of money and decided to leave it on my porch and someone stole it nobody would be too surprised.I'd be called the foolish one and yes, I don't doubt, it would be more likely to be stolen than if it were out of sight. I just might be too embarassed to report it because of my poor judgement.
It doesn't in make it right that somebody took what was mine but I struggle that flaunting what you have isn't asking for trouble.

My worry from the officer's comments come more from it as a generalization that all assaults on women are their own fault not that he may not be right about society on some level.

Am I missing something?

David Mundy said...

I was afraid that this subject might be intimidating for readers, and there were no early responses.

I'm glad that both of you did -- both thoughtful and worthwhile.

Laurie said...

The Slut Walk was like a Take Back the Night walk. People should realize that rape is not the victims fault,regardless of what the victim is wearing or not wearing. Rape is violence towards the victim. The term Slut Walk was used because of the officers remarks. It was intended to shock people just like his remarks did.

janet.rice said...

The title worked - got our attention. Where is the balance between "liberation" and flirting with danger....which assumes a mature attitude from the general population. I like Laura's analogy and Laurie's right too.
Just thought of another benefit of my grandmother status......the good ol' days are 1991?!!!!

Laura said...

I totally agree, Laurie. Attacks on women are not their fault;they are victims which mean there are attackers out there, and I don't know how they choose their prey. I don't know if dressing in such a way lures them, or not, but just maybe it does.
I see it a bit like road safety. I may have had the right of way but if I end up lying underneath a car that hardly matters. Was there anything I could have done to be less likely a victim,if so I'm going to do it.

David Mundy said...

Maybe if they had called it the "No Sluts Here" March...

Deborah Laforet said...

I really don't think it should matter what I wear. If I put out a stack of money, someone will be tempted to steal it and someone will. No one has been attacked or hurt. If I lie beneath a car, the car may accidentally roll over me. There is no intent to harm.

Women are attacked because the men who attack them are wrong, not because the woman did something wrong. I don't know if I like the idea of a "slut walk", but I do see the point of standing in solidarity with those who expect to walk down the street and not be harmed, no matter what they are wearing. Some women may be screaming for attention, and some women just want to blend in. Both kinds are attacked, regardless of what they wear.