Thursday, April 28, 2011

Preachers

This Sunday will be an usual first for our family. My wife Ruth will be in the pulpit of another church in Durham region, giving a Christian perspective to her important work as an outreach counsellor in a women's shelter. I will be at St. Paul's preaching sermon number...well, somewhere between thirteen and fourteen hundred in my ministry, not counting messages at weddings, funeral, nursing homes, etc. And our son, Isaac, will be offering his first message from the pulpit of the congregation he will be serving in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. He doesn't begin officially until after his ordination at the end of May, but he is doing pulpit supply in the meantime. We had a long chat on Sunday afternoon which touched on worship preparation, and Ruth and I have talked about what she will do as well. Ruth is a PK (preacher's kid,) as am I, as is Isaac. So maybe it is just in the genes.Isaac is already a veteran, having preached dozens of times through his Green Church Project work. He is the only preacher in our family to have delivered sermons in both official languages.


Preaching is an unusual enterprise in this time of visual presentation and short sound bites. I figure churches are virtually the last venues outside of college and university classrooms where an individual "holds the floor" for so long. In some congregations the minister isn't actually there, with simulcasts to several churches at the same time. We even tone the title down a little, often referring to messages rather than sermons. The expression "he/she was preachy!" is always a condemnation after all.

So, at the risk of setting myself up here, is it still worth it to listen to a sermon? How has preaching changed over the years in your experience? Does it help to have the visual images as well?

8 comments:

IanD said...

Dude, seriously?

You are far and away the best I've ever seen at what you do (and this is from a kid who grew up with two church organists, and thus two churches pulling for time in his household.)

I have seen good (and some excellent) ones come and go at St. Paul's, Chalmers (in Kingston), St. Saviour's and St. George's, but you are the title holder. You tie audio-visual elements, topical themes, relevant messages and sensitivity to the text and make worship more accessible than anyone else I've seen.

Keep up the good work.

roger said...

I don't think I can put it any better than what Ian said.

Your sermons are thought-provoking, and often elicit further discussion after the service. I do like the visual aids, as it provides even more of an impact on your message.

I remember going to church when I was much younger, and the minister always standing behind the pulpit and giving some boring sermon to which nobody could relate. I'm glad you do neither of those!

David Mundy said...

This from reader Laurie who is having trouble getting her Blogger comments to behave...

Two main reasons to go to church, the sermon, the music, and (just maybe to see what fantastic jacket Doug is wearing).
I really enjoy the visuals that you have with your sermons. If I don't go to church I read the sermon online,(miss the visuals then). Hope all sermons go well on Sunday for everyone.

Laurie

dmy said...

I prefer the term message or reflection over sermon. I relate the word sermon with lecture and your weekly reflections are definitely not a lecture. During a service the music, prayers and readings are "the same but different", however, your message is always relevant and timely. References to the congregations you have served in the past, family life and experiences in general make for interesting discussions and are always food for thought. I like the way "preaching" has evolved to more of a reflective message and enjoy the visual aids. Thank you and all the best to Ruth and Isaac on Sunday.

IanD said...

Doug's jackets are as overrated as his piano playing.

Slam!

Laura said...

The preparation you put into each week's message clearly translates to thoughtful, well organized, relevant (and even entertaining) wisdom, challenge and comfort. Isaac is following in big footprints, but from all I hear, and the few chances to experience, the United Church is ever so lucky to have another Mundy lead us onward. Ruth's experience and gracious manner will reach hearts and minds this Sunday,without doubt.
Just, WOW!

Deborah Laforet said...

What affirmations for David! It must be gratifying to hear, David, that what you do has such an impact.

I have to admit that preaching is not the favourite part of my ministry. I love worship. I love the music, I love doing dramas, or doing other messages that involve active participation from the congregation. These are the things that give me the energy to sit and write sermons on a weekly basis. And yes, I try to include visuals. I find that people connect with the message a little bit more when there are visuals.

David Mundy said...

I do appreciate the affirmation Deb.I am grateful that after all these years I still look forward to getting into the next sermon. The cheque is in the mail folks!

Reading the comments reminds me that there is still a place for the sermon.